Boo boo in select company

Boo boo in select company
Something to say?

Tuesday 22 June 2021

 The white working class child is educationally disdvantaged. Apparently the schools that they go to are being neglected. Now,we know that the black working classes, and the brown working classes, are equally disadvantaged (probably more). Furthermore, black and and browns get nowhere near the same access to justice or  jobs. Young black men are treated with little respect by the police -- they DO NOT get fair consideration. 

As for jobs, I should know. I came to the U K as an immigrant in 1974. I was grateful for the chance to work as a teacher. I was one of three graduate Mathematicians in a nineteen member Maths department. I loved my work. I thought I would get promoted eventually after a few years, when I had established my credentials, but that never happened. I watched people getting promoted over me, who did not know the new Maths being taught then; many would come to me at break to learn the Maths just before going in to teach. So I moved to Dagenham, where I was treated with much more professional respect. In Dagenham, black and brown teachers were a dime-a-dozen and the classrooms were multi-coloured I had found my niche.

I suspect black and brown school children do better than their educational environments would suggest because of the support they receive at home. It is relentless. I remember teaching Secondary School Maths to my daughter to get her a place in a boarding school in Suffolk. And now, my grand daughter has no choice but to perform when my daughter takes over her learning. We, black and brown, are all like that; we don't take education for granted. 

This is not totally about colour or class; it is about respect for learning, and the effort required by parents to make a success of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment